Pay a compliment to someone赞美某人
1. I must say it is really good.
我不能不承认它很棒。
2. I admire you for your bravery.
我敬佩你的勇气。
3. You're looking fine/nice.
你看起来非常不错/非常美。
4. You don't look your age.
你看起来比实质年龄年轻。
5. You've lost some weight.
你瘦了。
6. I can't believe my eyes!
我真不敢相信我的双眼。
7. How nice!
太好了!
8. Wonderful!
妙极了!
9. Your tie looks great on you.
你戴的领带非常合适你。
10. You look great in that new dress.
那衣服你穿非常棒。
11. That's a smart car.
那是辆非常棒的车。
12. I really must express my admiration1 for his courage.
我需要得说我非常羡慕他的勇气。
13. I think you deserve the highest praise.
我想你应该得到最高的赞美。
Responding回答
1. I'm very glad you like it.
我特别高兴你喜欢它。
2. I'm very glad you think so.
我特别高兴你如此觉得。
3. Thank you. It's very nice of you to say so.
谢谢,你如此说真是太好了。
4. Thank you very much for saying so.
很谢谢你如此说。
5. You flatter me./I'm flattered.
你恭维我。
6. How very kind of you to say so.
你如此说太好了。
Dialogue对话
1. A:What do you think of my new hat?
你觉得我的新帽子如何?
B: It's very nice. It goes beautifully with your dress.
非常不错,配你的衣服非常好看。
A: Thank you. It's very nice of you to say so.
谢谢,你如此说真是太好了。
B: You're welcome.
别客气。
A: My sister gave me this for my birthday.
我生日时我姐姐送我的这顶帽子。
B: She has excellent taste.
她的品味非常不错。
2. A: I really like your flat. It's so neat and attractive.
我真的喜欢你的房间。它是如此的干净和讨人喜欢。
B: Thank you.
谢谢。
C: Yes.It's one of the nicest flats Ive ever seen.
是的,这是我见过的最好的房间之一。
B: Well, thanks for saying so.
呃,谢谢你能这么说。
Note:
在遭到赞美时,中西方人的表现总是不同。中国人喜欢讲究谦虚小心,常常回答极为中庸,而西方人仅在少数状况之下这么做,他们常常用Thank you来回答以示他们已同意赞美。所以讲英语时应遵循西方的用语习惯,特别是与西方国家的人交际时,不然他们就会被搞得一头雾水。